proteins are very low on fat as compared to the animal products hence, when it comes to protein foods, one must always try to combine these protein containing plant foods with low fat animal foods.
Proteins are required by the body to repair, build and maintain the damage tissues. Protein is mainly available in products derived from animals. Some plants like red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, lentils and split peas also contain protein.
Plant proteins are very low on fat as compared to the animal products hence, when it comes to protein foods, one must always try to combine these protein containing plant foods with low fat animal foods. Some plants like red beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, lentils and split peas also contain protein.
When a person is suffering with diabetes, the protein available in the body muscles is broken down into amino acids that later gets converted into glucose by the liver. Since the proteins are broken down by the body faster due their replacing the carbohydrates, the body gets protein deficient which is not good for the internal organs of the body.
It is very important to combine proteins with right amount of carbohydrates, polyunsaturated fats and fatty acids (omega-3 fatty acids) too.
High protein diet for diabetics
- Daily intake of at least 8gm of protein per 20lbs of the body weight is said to be ideal and helpful for any human being.
- It is a must to avoid any of the saturated fats and one must try to include fish. Eating fish provides enough of polyunsaturated fats that are required by the body, along with the omega-3 essential fatty acids.
- It is very necessary to keep on shuffling the foods to get the amino acids in the desired amount.
- Combination of low fat dairy products, non-fat milk and skim milk products are very useful.
- Whole eggs, skinless chicken, lean meats can also be consumed.
- Legumes, soy products, tofu and protein rich beans are always welcome.
- One must try to consume these foods in smalls serving and for 4 to 5 times a day as much as possible.
- Balanced diet means having quality protein snacks for diabetics. Here are some protein snacks for diabetics.
- Whole bread slices combined with turkey and tomato, lettuce and mustard toppings.
- Half cup of blueberries or strawberries combined with some cottage cheese.
- Mixed green vegetables, pita chips, tuna and low fat dressing can make a great protein rich salad.
- A banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Honey whole wheat bagel, Swiss cheese and cucumber slices.
Protein rich foods
Cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, lettuce, garlic, olives, pepper spinach, peas, tomatoes and broccoli are good for diabetics as they reduce the level of blood sugar from the diabetics patient.
Research has shown that onions contain an anti-diabetic compound, which is much similar to the compounds (propyl, allyl, allicin and disulphide) that are used for insulin synthesis.
Soybeans are rich in proteins and low in carbohydrates. They control blood sugar level and regulate the increased glucose levels in the urine of the diabetics.
The low levels of carbohydrate in the tomatoes help them to control the glucose level in the blood of the diabetic patient.
Their richness in the protein and fiber content help them to be one of the best foods for the diabetics. Millet, beans, lentils, soybeans, nuts (Brazil, peanuts and pine nuts) and chicken eggs are other good source of Protein.
- Bitter gourd
Bitter gourd contains natural hypoglycemic agents which is ideal for reducing blood and urine sugar levels.
- High fiber foods
Fruits that are highly helpful for diabetic patients are apple, grapefruit, pears, berries, peaches, rubard, plum, jambul (rose apple) orange and lime due to their high fiber food.
Soluble fiber is found in oats, oatmeal, oat bran, peas and beans barley are also better to lower the levels of blood cholesterol.
- Skim milk
Skimmed milk can be taken and use yogurt with no additional flavors.
Fish and skinless poultry are recommended over other non-vegetarian products. However, it should be taken after removing all the fat from it. Opt for baked, boiled or roasted items.